Monday, March 15, 2010

The Borough-ed Life:Part 1


Sunday March 14, 2010
I’ve been coming to Manhattan off and on since I was 7 and all I really know about this city is… this city. I’ve never explored the boroughs and so, before arriving I began a checklist of things that I want to accomplish while here and the rest of New York City is on it. Luckily for me, I have a great guide who has given me a personal tour of Throgg’s Neck in the Bronx but the real exploration began in Brooklyn. From the Bronx to the heights is about a two-hour subway ride, with a few transfers in between. Once in Brooklyn, it takes some time to find your bearings because it looks-at first glance- so much like everything else. On a rainy, windy day I don’t imagine it’s a number one attraction for those who have never been, but forging through the wet weather is also recommended.
The original plan was to take the train to Coney Island, explore the grounds and walk along the shoreline to Brighton Beach, an area still rich in Russian turn of the century-esque culture. The goal was to end up there for some serious knish. Turns out that the subway lines are under construction and Coney Island is virtually impossible to get to right now, unless of course you’re from there, have a car and know where you’re going. So, when all else fails- you hit the bars...

No comments: